5 Common Mistakes Everyone Makes Getting A Bonded Title

bonded title mistakes

You have a car, but no title, and you heard about this thing called a Bonded Title that could solve all your problems.

Yes and no. Getting a Bonded Title the right way can help you, but getting a Bonded Title the wrong way can cost you time and money. Here are the top 5 mistakes everyone makes getting a Bonded Title.

Need a quick refresher on Bonded Titles? Check out this guide.

5 Mistakes Everyone Makes Getting a Bonded Title

# 1: Buying Bond Before Confirming With DMV

Your local DMV is the only entity that can tell you if you can get a Bonded Title.

Always contact your local DMV before purchasing a Lost Title Bond. You’ll want to make sure your DMV will accept a bond for your vehicle, otherwise you might be purchasing something that will get rejected by the DMV.

Some states do not allow for Bonded Titles. Those states are:

  • Delaware
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maryland
  • New Jersey
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Virginia

Two states (Indiana and Ohio) only accept court-ordered titles.

# 2: Applying For The  Wrong Bond Amount

When you apply for a Lost Title Bond, you will need to know your bond amount.

Don’t just pick a number. Don’t make up a number either.

Every state has a strict Lost Title Bond amount that you must follow. Use the wrong amount and your Lost Title Bond will be rejected by the DMV.

Your bond amount will be based off the value of your vehicle. Some states will set the value of your vehicle for you. Other states will require you to use an online price guide like Kelly Blue Book or NADA Guides. Call your local DMV to ensure you are using the proper vehicle value when finding your bond amount. 

Once you know your vehicle value, use our tool below to determine what your bond amount must be.

Find my bond amount

# 3: Applying For Bonded Title in Wrong State

You should get a Bonded Title for the state that you wish to register the vehicle in.

Do not get a Bonded Title for the state you purchased the vehicle in if you live in a different state.

# 4: Thinking Getting a Bond is All You Need to do

Just because you have a Lost Title Bond does not mean you have a Bonded Title.

Having a Lost Title Bond simply means you have a surety bond.

Once you have your bond, you will need to follow your state’s specific DMV guidelines to apply for the Bonded Title. This usually requires you to complete a title application and apply for the Bonded Title at your local DMV office.

View tutorials on how to get a Bonded Title

Need a tutorial on what to do after you buy your Lost Title Bond? Check out our Resource Page for state-specific tutorials.

# 5: Not Needing a Bonded Title

If you bought a car without a title, you might be able to get a bonded title, but it’s not guaranteed.

On the other hand, if you had the original title in your name at one point in time, you do not need to get a Bonded Title.

Instead, you can simply get a duplicate certificate of title. This is a much easier and less expensive process.

Not sure if you need a Bonded Title? Check out this awesome infographic.


Need a Bonded Title?

Replace a lost title the correct way by getting your title bond through a surety bond company. They know the lost title bond industry and individual state DMV guidelines.

Surety Solutions, A Gallagher Company does not issue Certificate of Lost Title Bonds

Related links:

4 Reasons You Might Need A Bonded Title

Bonded Titles Frequently Asked Questions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Back To Top