wyoming lost title

Are you a resident of the Cowboy State and never received the title to your vehicle when you purchased it? Or perhaps you never registered your vehicle in your name and now you can’t find the title? Sounds like you need a Wyoming Bonded Title.


Short on time? Check out our Bonded Title FAQ page.

What is a Wyoming Bonded Title?

A Wyoming Bonded Title (also known as a Certificate of Title Surety, Lost Title Bond, or Defective Title Bond) is a document that proves you own your vehicle. 

A WY Bonded Title allows you to buy insurance for your car, register your car, and sell your vehicle. Without a bonded title (or the original title to the vehicle) you cannot insure, register, or sell your car legally.

 A bonded title is just like a regular title but it is marked “bonded”, meaning that it has a surety bond attached to it.

When you get a bonded title, you are promising that you are the true owner of the vehicle. If someone comes forward later on and says that they are the owner of the vehicle and that you should not have been granted a bonded title, they can make a claim on your bond. If the claim is determined to be valid, the surety company would pay the person a fair amount. It would then be your responsibility to repay the surety.


Curious about what would happen if someone made a claim on your bond? Check out this resource.

When You Need a Wyoming Bonded Title

  • You bought a vehicle and didn’t receive a title
  • You bought a vehicle and only received a bill of sale
  • You bought a vehicle and received an improperly assigned title
  • You bought a vehicle, received, and lost the title*

*A duplicate title is different from a bonded title. If you had the title at one point and your vehicle was registered in your name, then you can simply get a duplicate/replacement title. This is a much easier process. Contact your local DMV for how to get a duplicate title.

Not sure if you need a WY Bonded Title? Check out this awesome infographic.

How to get a Wyoming Bonded Title


Step #1: Contact DMV to make sure you are eligible

Your local DMV is the only entity that can tell you if you are eligible for a bonded title or not.

Contact your local DMV, explain your situation, and ask if you could get a bonded title.

If they say yes, move on to Step #2.

Step #2: Find Previous Records

The first step in getting a WY Bonded Title is to find any previous records on your vehicle. Your local DMV can help you with this by running a vehicle search on your car. A vehicle search will reveal if there are any previous record holders or any active liens on your vehicle.

If the vehicle search reveals a previous title owner, you will need to send a certified letter to this person requesting they sign over the title to you.

Likewise, if there are any active lienholders, you will need to notify these individuals and request the lien be lifted.  You cannot get a Wyoming Bonded Title if your car has an active lien on it.

Step #3: Get your Vehicle Inspected

Next, you will need to get your vehicle inspected. This is just a simple task to ensure that your vehicle has not been stolen.

You can get a vehicle inspection done by a certified vehicle inspection officer from your local DMV or any Wyoming law enforcement officer.

Make sure they complete a vehicle identification number inspection form for you. You will need this later on when you apply for your Wyoming Bonded Title.

Step #4: Determine the Value of Your Vehicle

Establish the value of your vehicle by any of the following:

  • current national appraisal guide (for example, Kelley Blue Book or NADA)
  • from a current or past registration
  • a licensed Wyoming vehicle dealer

This is important because the value of the car will determine the amount of the Wyoming vehicle title bond. 

Step #5: Purchase a Wyoming Lost Title Bond

Purchase a bond from a surety bond company. Make sure you apply for the correct bond amount.

The amount for your Wyoming Lost Title Bond must be for 2 times the value of your vehicle. For example, if your vehicle is appraised at $2,000 then you will need to get a $4,000 bond.

You will not pay the full bond amount. Instead, you will just pay a small portion. If your Wyoming Lost Title Bond amount is less than $6,600 then you can get bonded for just $100.

Surety Solutions, A Gallagher Company does not issue Certificate of Lost Title Bonds

Before you purchase your title bond – learn important payment info

Step #6: Submit Paperwork

Once you have your WY Lost Title Bond, you are almost done. Complete the following paperwork and take to your local DMV:

You might also need to complete a title application. Your local DMV will be able to assist you with this.
 Upon approval, you will be issued a Wyoming Bonded Title.

Do Wyoming Bonded Titles Expire?

Yes, your WY Bonded Title is valid for 3 years. If no one comes forward during that time period and makes a claim against your Wyoming Lost Title Bond, you will be issued a standard certificate of title.

Related Links:

Four Reasons You Might Need A Bonded Title

Bonded Titles FAQ

Back To Top