Maryland Title Service Agent – Getting Licensed & Bonded

maryland title service agent

The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration issues licenses to become a Title Service Agent. If you are looking to become a Title Service Agent, or just want additional information, keep reading.

What is a Title Service Agent?

A title service agent, also known as an auto tag distributor, is an individual or company that can process auto procedures such as renewing license plate tags, distributing motor vehicle registrations, and more.

While these tasks are usually performed by an employee of a state’s Department of Motor Vehicles, some states (like Maryland and Wisconsin) allow independent retail agents to perform the basic auto duties like the ones mentioned above. To become a title service agent in Maryland, you must first get licensed.

How to Become a Title Service Agent in Maryland

Step #1: Download the license packet and complete paperwork

Download the Title Service Agents License Packet. This includes all the necessary forms and paperwork. The packet includes:

  • Application for Title Service Agent License
  • Zoning Approval Form
  • Department of Assessment and Taxation Form
  • Site Inspection Form – See more below
  • Business Licensing Orientation Request Form – See more below

Complete all the forms in the packet. For the Site Inspection Form, you will need to schedule a site inspection by an MVA Investigation Division employee. There is a site inspection checklist in the licensing packet. You can schedule an inspection by calling 410-768-7216. Upon approval of your site inspection, the investigator will complete your form and you can include it with your license packet.

The Business Licensing Orientation Request Form just needs to be completed and included in your packet. You will be approved to take the orientation after you submit your packet. The orientation is held monthly from 9:00 am – 12:00 noon.

Step #2: Secure other necessary requirements

The other necessary requirements are as follows:

  • ERT Contract – Connect with an ERT provider to set up your Electronic Registration and Titling (ERT) contract. For vendor contact information, use the ERT contact page
  • Criminal Background Check – All applicants must submit a criminal background check
  • Purchase Workers’ Compensation Insurance – Information about workers’ compensation is in the licensing packet
  • Complete a Use Occupancy Permit – Only required if you are using a trailer as an office

Step #3: Secure a Maryland Title Service Agent Bond

A Maryland Title Service Agent Bond is a type of surety bond required before you can be issued a license. This surety bond does not protect you, but rather protects your customers. If you fail to perform your duties according to your license, your customers can make a claim against your bond. This of the bond as insurance for your customers.

The bond amount is set at $25,000*, but don’t worry, you do not need to pay this amount.

You will pay anywhere from 1-15% of the total bond amount ($250 – $3,750). This is a one-time payment, not monthly, and covers the bond for the entire term. Your rate is largely based on your personal credit score.

You can see what you’d pay for a Maryland Title Service Agent Bond by getting a free quote below.

Get a Free MD Title Agent Bond Quote

*On October 8, 2018, the bond amount increased to $50,000. This is due to Maryland House Bill 1065.

Once you purchase your surety bond, the surety company will mail you your bond.

Step #4: Submit paperwork

Submit your entire licensing packet and additional requirements (including your original Maryland Title Service Agent Bond) to the Motor Vehicle Administration at the following address:

Be sure to include a $112.50 application fee.

MVA, BL&CS, Room 146
6601 Ritchie Highway
Glen Burnie, MD 21062

Wait to be approved by the department.

For more information, please call 410-768-7000 (to speak with a customer service representative from the MVA).

License Expiration and Renewal

Maryland Title Service Agent Licenses need to be renewed for you to remain in compliance with the law.

The Business Licensing and Consumer Services Unit will mail you a renewal packet 60 days prior to your license expiration date.

If you do not submit a renewal packet, the MVA will assume your business is going out of service.

Additional links from the MVA that might be helpful in your license pursuit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Back To Top