Two licenses are required to do landscaping work in Oregon: the individual landscape construction professional license and the landscape contracting business license.
The difference between the two licenses is this:
- Individual Professional License: Allows you to supervise all landscaping work. This license is obtained after passing an exam.
- Business License: Granted to a business that is licensed to do landscaping work. This license carries the bond, the insurance, worker’s compensation, and enters into the contract with the client.
How to get an Oregon Landscaping License
The Individual Professional License:
Step #1: Review the following for how to take the license exam:
Step #2: Complete an Oregon Landscape Contractor Individual Professional License Application
Step #3: Submit application and fee to the Oregon Landscape Contractor Board.
Step #4: Once your application is approved, the Board will send you a package of information that contains study material and an ID number. If your application is not approved, you will receive a letter within 7 business days requesting more information.
Step #5: Register for the license exam with PSI. If you wish to take a Practical Skills Test instead, you can find information about that here.
Step #6: When you pass the exam, contact the Oregon Landscape Contractor Board. Submit your licensing fee ($100) and upon receipt of payment, the Board will mail you your Oregon Landscape Contractor License.
The Business License:
Step #1: Set up the business entity.
Step #2: Set up accounts with the IRS and Oregon Department of Revenue.
Step #3: Register your business name with the Secretary of State.
Step #4: Purchase liability insurance.
Step #5: Purchase an Oregon Landscape Contractor Bond
- $3,000 bond if performing projects for $10,000 or less.
- $10,000 bond for landscaping contractors who construct fences, decks, arbors, walkways, patios, driveways and retaining walls
- $10,000 bond for contractors who charge between $10,000 and $25,000 for project completion
- $15,000 bond for contractors who charge between $25,000 and $50,000 for project completion
- $20,000 bond for contractors who charge more than $50,000 for project completion
Free Oregon Landscaping Bond Quotes
Step #6: Complete an Oregon Landscape Contractor Business License Application
Step #7: Submit your application and other paperwork to the Board. Include the $150 licensing fee.
Allow up to 10 days of processing time. Once approved, your Oregon Landscape Contractor Business License will be mailed to you. If your application is not approved, you will receive a letter as to why/requesting more information.
Your Oregon Landscaping Licenses are valid for one year. You will have to renew your licenses annually. The renewal fees are as follows:
- Individual Professional License Renewal Fee: $100
- Business License Renewal Fee: $275
For more information on how to get licensed, check out the Oregon Landscape Contractors Board website.