How To Get An Iowa Travel Agency License And Bond

iowa travel agency license

All travel agents in Iowa must be licensed before they can start conducting business.

For more information, check out our “4 Easy Steps To Get Your Seller of Travel License” post.

How to get an Iowa Travel Agency License and Bond

Step #1: Complete License Application

View application online: Registration of Travel Agency application.

Your application must be signed and dated by an authorized representative of your travel agency.

There is a $15 registration fee. Checks can be made payable to the Secretary of State.

Step #2: Purchase Iowa Travel Agency Bond

You can purchase an Iowa Travel Agency Bond from a licensed surety bond company like us, Surety Solutions.

An Iowa Travel Agency Bond is a type of surety bond that must be obtained by travel agents in order to guarantee that any funds they collect through travel bookings are properly transferred to the correct individuals.

How Does an Iowa Travel Agency Bond Work?

Essentially, the bond holds you liable for your actions as a travel agency. If someone feels you are not fulfilling your duties ethically and honestly, they can make a claim against your Iowa Travel Agency Bond.

You can learn about how the bond claim process works here.

How much does an Iowa Travel Agency Bond Cost?

The Iowa Secretary of State requires travel agents to secure a $10,000 bond. This is not the amount you pay for your bond though.

Instead, you pay a percentage of this amount (called the bond premium). Usually, the bond premium is between 1-3%  of the total bond amount. So, for a $10,000 bond, that means you would pay $100 – $300.

The price you pay is based off your personal credit score. If you have bad credit, you will have to pay more.

You can get free quotes for your Iowa Travel Agency Bond online through Surety Solutions

Get free Travel Agency Bond quotes

Step #4: Complete other requirements

  • Purchase Professional Errors and Omissions Insurance from an insurance company
  • Attach a copy of official Airlines Reporting Corporation approval
  • Attach a copy of official Passenger Services Network Corporation approval
  • Attach completed Consent to Service of Process form (in application packet)

Step #5: Submit paperwork

After you’ve purchased your surety bond, submit your license application and bond to the Iowa Secretary of State at the address below:

Secretary of State
Travel Agency Registration
Lucas Building, 1st Floor
Des Moines, IA 50319

If you have any questions about getting licensed, call the Secretary of State at (515) 281-5204.

License Expiration and Renewal

Your Iowa Travel Agency License does expire. You will need to renew your license once a year to remain in compliance with the law.

The renewal fee is $15.

Related links:

4 Easy Steps To Getting Your Seller of Travel License

How to get an ARC bond

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Back To Top