How To Get A Missouri Bonded Title

missouri lost title

Do you have a car in Missouri, but no title? Maybe you recently bought a vehicle, but never received the title, or maybe you received a title, but lost it before registering it in your name. If this sounds like you, you aren’t stuck. You might be able to get a Missouri Bonded Title.

Short on time? Check out our Bonded Title FAQ page.

What is a Missouri Bonded Title?

A Missouri Bonded Title (also known as a Missouri Certificate of Title, Missouri Lost Title Bond, or Missouri Defective Title Bond) is a document that proves you own your vehicle. 

A bonded title is just like a regular title but it is marked “bonded”, meaning that it has a surety bond attached to it.

Why You Need To Purchase a Surety Bond

The purpose of a MO Bonded Title is to protect any previous owners of the vehicle and the state of Missouri.

You can learn more about how the surety bond works and what it means to be bonded at the end of the article.

When You Might Need a Missouri Bonded Title

You might need a bonded title in any of the following situations. This is not a complete list of all times when a bonded title might be necessary.

  • You bought a vehicle and didn’t receive a title
  • You bought a vehicle and only received a bill of sale
  • You bought a vehicle and received an improperly assigned title
  • You bought a vehicle, received, and lost the title*

*You do not need an MO Bonded Title if you had the original title registered in your name at one point in time. In this instance, you can simply get a duplicate/replacement title. Application must be notarized and indicate why a duplicate title is needed. The fee for a duplicate/replacement title is $8.50 plus a $2.50 processing fee. Send application to your local Missouri license office or to the Motor Vehicle Bureau, 301 West High Street, Room 370, PO Box 100, Jefferson City MO 65105-0100

Not sure if you need an MO Bonded Title? Check out this awesome infographic.


How to get a Missouri Bonded Title

Step #1: Meet requirements

  • Vehicle must be at least 7 years old
  • Vehicle cannot be worth more than $3,000
  • There must be no record of any prior application for title on the motor vehicle

Step #2: Call DMV to make sure you are eligible

If your vehicle meets the requirements in Step #1, call your local DMV to confirm you are safe to state this process. 

While we, Surety Solutions, can list some common situations where you might be approved for a bonded title, we cannot say for certain if you are eligible. Only your local DMV can say for certain.

Contact your DMV and ask if you could get a bonded title. If they say yes, you can move on to Step #3.

Step #3: Buy a Form 551 (Vehicle Examination Certificate)

Buy your Vehicle Examination Certificate from your local Missouri license office or print out online. The form must be completed by a Missouri state highway patrol officer or other law enforcement agent. The cost for a vehicle examination is $25.

Step #4: Get vehicle appraised

Missouri approves Kelly Blue Book or NADA Guides to determine the value of your vehicle. You can also get your car appraised by 2 separate licensed motor vehicle dealers. Once you have the value of your vehicle, move on to the next step.

Step #5: Calculate your bond amount

Your bond amount must be for 2 times the value of your vehicle (that you found in Step #4).

For example, if your car is valued at $2,000 then your bond amount will need to be $4,000. This is not how much you have to pay for your bond though, don’t worry.

Calculate your bond amount, then move on to the next step.

Step #6: Purchase Missouri Lost Title Bond

Purchase a bond from a surety bond company.

Make sure you apply for the correct bond amount that you calculated in Step #5.

You do not need to pay the full bond amount to get bonded. Most people only pay around $100 for their bond.

Surety Solutions, A Gallagher Company does not issue Certificate of Lost Title Bonds

Certificate of Title Bonds cannot be canceled and are non-refundable. Please ensure your vehicle is eligible for a bonded title with your local DMV before you purchase your Surety Bond.

Before you purchase your title bond – learn important payment info

Step #7: Complete title application

Step #8: Take all paperwork to local license office

The license office might also require you to have with you a bill of sale and a notarized statement of facts (a paper indicating how you came into possession of the vehicle and why you have no title). They might also require an odometer statement certifying the odometer reading of your vehicle if your vehicle is less than 10 years old.

Once you have satisfied all the above requirements and paid the $11 titling fee, you will be issued a Missouri Bonded Title.

Your title will be marked “bonded”.

What it Means to be Bonded

When you get a bonded title, you are promising that you are the true owner of the vehicle, and that you will take responsibility for any bond claims.

If someone comes forward later on and says that they are the owner of the vehicle and that you should not have been granted a bonded title, they can make a claim on your bond.

If the claim is determined to be valid, you would be responsible for satisfying the claim. Usually, this would mean a financial compensation. The surety company would determine what is fair.

If you fail to satisfy the claim, the surety company would satisfy the claim for you. Then, they would come to you for reimbursement. Essentially, the bond holds you liable for your actions, no matter what.

Want more information about what happens if someone made a claim on your bond? Check out this resource.

Does My Missouri Bonded Title Expire?

Yes, MO Bonded Titles expire 3 years after the date they are issued. The “bonded” brand remains on the title for those entire 3 years. 

If no one comes forward and makes a claim on your Missouri Lost Title Bond during those 3 years, then you (or whoever owns the vehicle at the time) can go to the DMV and apply for the brand to be removed from the title. Upon approval, you would be issued a clear certificate of title.

If you wish to sell the vehicle before the 3 years are up, you can. Your name remains on the surety bond, though, and you remain responsible for any bond claims during that 3 year period. 

Related Links:

Bonded Titles FAQ

Four Reasons You Might Need A Bonded Title

Everything You Need To Know About Title Bonds

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Back To Top