How To Get A New Hampshire Bonded Title

new hampshire lost title

Do you have a car in New Hampshire, but no title? You might be able to get a New Hampshire Bonded Title to recover proof of ownership.

Short on time? Check out our Bonded Title FAQ page.

What is a New Hampshire Bonded Title?

A New Hampshire Bonded Title (also known as a New Hampshire Certificate of Title, New Hampshire Lost Title Bond, or New Hampshire Defective Title Bond) is a document that proves you own your vehicle. An NH Bonded Title looks just like a regular title except it is marked ‘bonded.’

When you get a bonded title, you are promising that you are the true owner of the vehicle. If someone comes forward later on and says that they are the owner of the vehicle and that you should not have been granted a bonded title, they can make a claim on your bond. If the claim is determined to be valid, the surety company would pay the person a fair amount. It would then be your responsibility to repay the surety.


Curious about what would happen if someone made a claim on your bond? Check out this resource.

When You Need a New Hampshire Bonded Title

  • You bought a vehicle and didn’t receive a title
  • You bought a vehicle and only received a bill of sale
  • You bought a vehicle and received an improperly assigned title
  • You bought a vehicle, received the title, and lost it before transferring it into your name*

*If you had the title in your name at one point in time, you can simply get a duplicate/replacement title. Fill out Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title and Release of Lien, if application. Take application(s) to your local New Hampshire Department of Motor Vehicles office and pay the $25 replacement fee.

Not sure if you need an NH Bonded Title? Check out this awesome infographic.


How to get a New Hampshire Bonded Title

Step #1: Contact DMV and make sure you are eligible

Then, have DMV run a vehicle record search on your vehicle. A vehicle record search will reveal if there is a previous title owner on file, or any active liens on your vehicle. 

If a previous title owner appears from your record search, you must send a certified letter to this person requesting that they sign over the title to you. If a lienholder appears, you must also send a certified letter to this person requesting that the lien be lifted. You cannot get a Bonded Title for a vehicle that has an active lien.

Step #2: Purchase New Hampshire Lost Title Bond

Purchase a bond from a surety bond company. Make sure you apply for the correct bond amount.

The amount for your New Hampshire Lost Title Bond must be for 1.5 times the value of your vehicle. For example, if your car is appraised at $2,000 then you must get a $3,000 New Hampshire Lost Title Bond. The state will determine the value of your vehicle.

You won’t have to pay the full bond amount to get bonded.

Surety Solutions, A Gallagher Company does not issue Certificate of Lost Title Bonds

Before you purchase your title bond – learn important payment info

Step #3: Complete title application

Title applications can only be obtained at your local town or city clerk’s office. 

Step #4: Submit paperwork

Along with your paperwork, submit proof of NH Lost Title Bond to your local DMV. If your application is approved, upon a small title fee payment, you will be issued a New Hampshire Bonded Title.

Does My New Hampshire Bonded Title Expire?

Yes, NH Bonded Titles expire 3 years after they are issued. If no one comes forward during those 3 years and makes a claim against your New Hampshire Lost Title Bond (by saying they are the true owner of your vehicle) then you will be issued a standard certificate of title.

Related Links:

Bonded Titles FAQ

Four Reasons You Might Need A Bonded Title

6 Ways To Lower Your Bond Rate and Save You Money

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Back To Top