How To Get A Washington Agriculture License

washington agricultural dealer license

A Washington State Agricultural Dealer License is required for any person or business that produces, handles, contracts for, or obtains agriculture for sale to wholesalers or retailers in the state of Washington.

Before agricultural dealers start selling products, they must get a Washington Agricultural Dealer License and Washington Agricultural Products Dealer Bond. 

 Washington Agricultural Dealer Licenses can be obtained at any time, but the licenses expire on December 31 of each year.

How to get a Washington Agricultural Dealer License

Step #1: Complete Application

Go to the Washington State Department of Agriculture website and complete a Washington Agricultural Dealer License Application.

Step #2: Pay fees

Include a check or money order made out to WSDA (Washington State Department of Agriculture) for the appropriate fee amount:

  • Commission Merchant or Dealer: $605
  • Limited Dealer: $335
  • Broker: $405


For information on the above license categories, view the License Categories in the Washington License Application.

Step #3: Purchase Washington Agricultural Dealer Bond

You can purchase a bond from a licensed surety bond provider.

A Washington Agricultural Dealer Bond is a type of surety bond that guarantees you will abide by all laws and regulations. The amount of your bond is based on the type of business you are involved in:

  • Hay, Straw, or Seed: $15,000 bond
  • Livestock, Produce, or Other: $10,000 bond

You won’t have to pay the full amount to get bonded. You’ll just pay a small portion which is based on your personal credit. The best way to see what you’d pay for your bond is to get a free quote below:

Get your WA Agriculture Dealer Bond quote!


Step #4: Submit paperwork

Submit your license application, fees, and bond to the address below:

Washington State Dept. of Agriculture
Agricultural Investigations Program
PO Box 42591
Olympia, WA 98504-2591

Other things to note:

  • If you wish to apply for a commission merchant’s license, you must also attach a schedule of commissions and an itemized list of all charges for services.
  • If you operate more than one vehicle to transport unprocessed agricultural products on public highways, you will need to apply for additional license plates for those vehicle(s).

For questions about how to apply, contact the Olympia office at 360-902-1857 or by email at

Related Posts:

Washington Agricultural Dealer Bond

Washington Farm Labor Contractor’s Bond

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Back To Top