title bond

When you want to buy or sell a car, most of your attention will be focused on the car itself: its condition, selling price, and features. But you also need to pay attention to the legal paperwork involved.

Lost Titles and Title Bonds

Sometimes, titles are lost. In some cases, it’s easy to apply for a duplicate title, but in other cases, you do not qualify.

When you find yourself in a situation where you cannot get a replacement title, you might be able to get a Title Bond (also known as a Lost Title Bond or Bonded Title.)

Find how out to get a Bonded Title in your state. Visit our Lost Title Bond Page.

View tutorials on how to get a Bonded Title

When You Might Need a Title Bond

You might need a bonded title in one of the following situations. This is not a complete list:

  • You never received the title to your vehicle
  • You only received a bill of sale
  • You received an improperly assigned title
  • You received the title, but lost it before transferring it into your name*

*If you had the original title at one point, but simply lost it, you can often apply for a Duplicate Certificate of Title. 

PLEASE NOTE: The only entity that can tell you if you are eligible for a title via a lost title bond is your local DMV. 

If you are wondering if you can get a title via a bond, please contact your local DMV.

Not sure if you need a Lost Title Bond? Check out this awesome infographic.


Consequences of not Having a Title

  • Cannot register your vehicle
  • Cannot insure your vehicle
  • Cannot drive legally
  • Harder time selling vehicle

If you cannot show clear ownership of a vehicle through either a vehicle title or a Bonded Title, you will not be able to register your car. Additionally, you won’t be able to insure your car.

Either of these situations will prevent you from driving legally.

Can You Sell a Car With a Bonded Title?


Most Bonded Titles stay in effect for three years, so if you choose to sell your car with a Bonded Title before the three years are over, the buyer must continue with the Bonded Title for the remainder of the three years. 

Whoever originally got the bonded title remains liabile for any bond claims. 

The downside of selling a car with a Bonded Title is that some people may choose to not buy under these circumstances since they won’t have a clear title right away. But most people will certainly not buy a car if it has no title at all.

If you’re selling a car with a Bonded Title, contact your county’s tax assessor’s office to determine if there are special procedures you need to follow when transferring ownership.


How to get a Bonded Title

Obtaining a Lost Title Bond begins at the DMV. You will be required to complete paperwork and pay a fee. The DMV will determine the value of your bond based on the make, model, and year of the car.

Once you have the value of your vehicle and documentation from the DMV approving you to buy a Bonded Title, you can then purchase your bond. You’ll need to contact a surety bond company to get your bond.

Find how out to get a Bonded Title in your state. Visit our Lost Title Bond Page.

View tutorials on how to get a Bonded Title

How Much Will a Bonded Title Cost?

You will not pay the full amount of your bond. Instead, you will pay a portion of it. For example, if you are required to get a $2,000 Lost Title Bond, you will not need to pay $2,000. 

Most people only pay around $100 for their bond.

Surety Solutions, A Gallagher Company does not issue Certificate of Lost Title Bonds

Before you purchase your title bond – learn important payment info

Related links:

Bonded Titles FAQ

Do You Need a Bonded Title?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Back To Top