5 Simple Steps: Idaho Farm Labor Contractor License

idaho farm labor contractor license

Farm labor contractors act as the ‘middle persons’ between farmers and farm workers. Any person who is paid or promised to be paid for recruiting, soliciting, hiring, employing, furnishing, or transporting any migrant or seasonal agricultural worker is considered to be a farm labor contractor. If you are thinking of becoming a farm labor contractor in Idaho, you will first need to get licensed.

Short on time? Check out our Contractor’s License FAQ page.

How to get an Idaho Farm Labor Contractor License


Step #1: Complete Farm Labor Contractor’s License Application

Step #2: Purchase Idaho Farm Labor Contractor Bond

Since 2003, when Senate Bill 1289 was enacted, farm labor contractors have been required to post a surety bond for licensure. A farm labor contractor bond ensures farm labor contractors will pay farmworkers their wages. If a farm labor contractor does not pay their farmworkers, the farmworkers can make a claim against the bond and get compensated.

  • The bond amount for Idaho farm labor contractors is $10,000 (if 20 or less employees are employed)
  •  If 21 or more employees are employed, the bond amount is $30,000.

Getting a surety bond can be costly, but if you choose a surety bond company like Surety Solutions, we can shop your bond to ensure you get the best rate possible. Our online quote generator allows you to view quotes for your bond so you can compare prices before you buy.

Get free Farm Labor Contractor Bond quotes

Step #3: Gather Other Necessary Documents

Along with your application, you will need to submit:

  • 2 recent passport-sized color photographs
  • Vehicle information sheet, if applicable
  • Certificate of insurance issued by your auto insurance carrier
  • Certificate of insurance issues by workers’ compensation carrier

Step #4: Pay Licensing Fees

The new applicant license fee is $250. Licenses are valid for one year and must be renewed annually. Renewal application are sent to all licensed farm labor contractors prior to the expiration date. The license renewal fee is also $250.

Step #5: Submit Your Application

Submit your application, bond, and other required documents to the address below:

FLC Licensing Coordinator
Idaho Department of Labor
127 W. Fifth St. N
Burley, ID 83318

To request a licensing packet or for additional information, call the Idaho Department of Labor at 800-843-3193

For bonding questions, contact Surety Solutions at 866.722.9239

Related links:

Contractor License FAQ

Washington Farm Labor Contractor’s Bond

Oregon Farm Labor Contractor’s Bond

Back To Top